October 11, 2010

The Revolutionary Communicator

So, I am here in Switzerland!  I arrived at the end of September and I have been attending a school with YWAM titled "introduction to communication and design."  Coming into this I had expected it to be learning how I can communicate with people through different mediums like photoshop, video editing, and illustrator.  Until this point, I had thought a good communicator was someone who got good responses like many people responding to an alter call or had a large following and were known as a good communicator.  From these first 2 weeks my expectations have been blown away.  We started the school looking into how Jesus communicated verses the way the media says we should communicate.  Jesus was attentive to his audience, his focus was on them because he cared about their hearts first.  He also sought to be on their turf and in their terms.   The bible says that Jesus dwelt among us...the word dwelt actually means "to pitch a tent."  The thought of him having a pitched tent as he connected with people is so intriguing. Learning to communicate in these terms has been revolutionary to me, because the attentiveness Jesus portrayed is crucial to being a good communicator.   With this aspect of being available to listen is invaluable because of the pure oxygen of sincere attentiveness gives.   Jesus was the ultimate example of communicating because he never traveled more than 100 miles from his home, worked as a tradesman, yet was still able to set in motion a movement that would continue and effect every nation, every culture and every language.  My new thought of a good communicator is not someone who got good responses, because Jesus was subversive to the culture, he didn't seek good responses and he didn't desire large followings because he frequently said things that sent the crowds away.  A good communicator is someone who serves and seeks to know others deeply.  Jesus was the ultimate server and I desire for my heart to burn for people the way he did and communicate with people on their terms.

As part of our assignment with the school we have to do a weekly journal of what we have learned this week, but there has to be a media aspect to it, so I have chosen to do the weekly journal on my blog.  I will be updating this every week!  Stay tuned for more projects and posting.  Talk to yall soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment