February 5, 2015

Sleeping through the night

Jaden finally slept through the night!!! Whoo hoo!! To random outsiders this looks incredible...you may think "what lucky parents, to have a 7 week old sleeping through the night." I could just leave the story at that and pretend that life is butterflies and daisies around here, but the real unedited version is this: 

Jaden hates to go to sleep, the last 4 nights our bedtime routine starts at 4pm to ensure that he asleep by 9pm, if you are doing the math that's 5 hours of being wide awake or fussing and crying. 

It is funny the things that I have found that work in those moments of fussiness..currently my go-to move is the fun exercise of a squat, I don't know why of all the moves in the world the squat had to be the one that worked. Seeing how my child is a solid boy, squating over 100 times with a 15 pound baby is slowly developing legs of steel. 

Other things are counting loud and in different funny voices as long as it takes for him to at least close his eyes, I've almost counted to 1,000 a couple of times, so that's fun. Also, singing random lyrics to the tune is "twinkle twinkle little star" or "row row your boat"...most of the lyrics have something along the line of "you really want to sleep jaden Lee David." This kid is also good at the fake out, you think you have won the battle and set him down in his crib and minutes later you return to see him wide awake.

The other night, I came in and asked him what he was doing awake, and he gave me the world's greatest grin...I said that's it, you don't ever have to sleep again if you don't want to!! Once he learns the power his grin has over me, it could be dangerous...you want a pony, you got it son!!

And he doesn't like to be still so sitting during this time it is not an option, recently, during the super bowl, he watched with us until the forth quarter and then was done with the game. So while I was squating and counting to 1,000, the rest of the family was yelling play by play to me from the other room. I still haven't seen that final play!

So due to the fact that he is so tired from not sleeping much through the day when he finally does go to sleep he sleeps through the night. I just love this little guy and the funny personality he is developing 

Wide awake
The tail end of the grin that stops the world turning
Happy during the boring quarters of the super bowl
Slept for 15 minutes
His 4th quarter reaction


More of that grin!

1 comment: