July 27, 2012

My Dream for Gold: An Olympic Tale!

To say that I'm excited about the Olympics is a bit of an understatement!! I couldn't sleep last night, laying awake thinking about my love for the Olympic games and woke up early this morning with excitement for the Opening Ceremonies!  My dream for Olympic Gold has finally come true..Journey with me as I tell my tale....

Atlanta 1996 were the first games I can remember, It was when I began getting this deep desire to win a Gold medal! For the entire year following, I read every book, magazine, and article about the magnificent 7 USA women's gymnastic team.  My walls were filled with pictures and posters dreaming of someday being the one on the team with a gold medal around my neck, limping like Kerry Strug after giving it everything I had to win, and the national anthem playing in the background.  I would make my mom raise a perfect 10 sign I made out of computer paper when I would perform my impressive cartwheels.  That dream of Gold through Gymnastics quickly died when I realized cartwheels and Front Layout Piked Double Arabian with a Triple Twist are 2 very different moves.  That last one sounds like an nice ice cream, but don't be fooled ;)

I then moved onto swimming and diving during Sydney 2000 Olympic games, I became an incredible diver, pointed toes and no splash when entering the water!  I was on my way to gold until I had to move from the side of the pool to a real high-diving board.  They are alot taller than they appear and I was that kid taking the walk of shame back down the latter after failing to make the jump and ultimately abruptly ending my diving dreams.

Moving onto the 2004 Athens games, where I was into my teenage years, more realistic about my odds of olympic gold and more concerned with my love and massive crush on the Hamm Twins on the Men's Gymnastics team, maybe I couldn't win an olympic medal, but I could marry someone with one. That ended when they could only win a silver...and who wants a man that's second best? (jokes, jokes, jokes...silvers alright I guess :0))

That brings us to the most recent games in 2008 in Beijing, I was in my last year of college and attended daily Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt race parties! I was in awe of these guy's talent! I watched as Usain Bolt, ran a 9 second, 100-metre dash, WOW!! Then I realized and it hit me, he has spent his whole life dedicated to being the fastest man in the world, and he achieved it!  He got a gold medal, COOL! But then as fast as it happened, it was over. The Olympic athletes spend their entire life chasing this coveted gold medal, but when they get it...then what? That gold medal won't comfort them, won't satisfy their desire for purpose and meaning, and ultimately that gold medal won't fill the gap of eternity.  I'm not taking away from the honor of receiving a gold medal, because I think it really is incredible, but if winning a Gold medal is ultimate and everything, it doesn't last after death.  That was the moment, I knew that I HAD to be at the 2012 Olympic games, not for the gold, fame or husband hunt, but because I was learning about a God that loves me so furiously and passionately, and just wanted to be where the action was so other people could see it too!  During the Opening Ceremonies as the flags of every nation were parading around the track I felt that all those countries had to know about a God that loves them so deeply!  I wanted to be apart of the Olympics where every tribe, tongue and nation were gathered in one place, the gospel be spread and then taken out to the world after the games were over! 


Can you believe it, Here we are July 27, 2012, the day of the opening ceremonies for the 2012 Olympic Games in London.  I'm here! I'm in London! My lifelong dream of being at the Olympic Games is coming true, and how Ironic is it that I work for organizations called "More than Gold" and "Forever." I get to tell people about joy in life and satisfaction that goes beyond a Gold medal, about peace in life after death and sharing a story that changes people's lives literally Forever!  I'm so excited to see what God is going to do! I can't believe I'm living my dreams....this has to be what it feels like to win gold!
USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment