October 12, 2012

Season of Change.

Something I have noticed from living in England is there are actually 4 distinct seasons. Growing up in West Texas, I could usually only tell that we had moved from Winter to Spring because Hunting season was over and Baseball season was starting, and the only real sign that we were no longer in the summer months was when Football 2-a-days were in full swing.  The weather doesn't change very drastically except when we get the occasional Winter snow storm or the 300 mph winds that leaves dirt in your teeth for 3 years. 

Winter Wonderland in England!
Autumn in England

But England, England is different, England on it's best days has a way of showing off the 4 seasons really well.  Right now it is very obvious that Autumn is here, The trees are all changing to bright red and yellow leaves, the air is crisp, and everything smells like fall (You know the smell, that smell that just makes you want to get a pumpkin spice latte and read a good book in sweatpants or watch Downton Abbey with the girls, Fall is perfect in my opinion) After Autumn of course comes Winter, and the trees are completely bare here, but when the snow falls, it actually looks like a winter wonderland.  This is usually the season where I drink at least 8 cups of hot tea a day, and wear 5 layers of clothes, but who doesn't love a good chance to wear all the clothes you own at once :). Snow fights and tackle football can get out of hand around here, but I've always lived by the rules...scars are like tattoos but with better stories! After winter, it seems suddenly almost over night the trees bloom...yay, it's crazy, they actually bloom.  Spring is here and the flowers grow on the trees and bluebells in the forest, and I almost feel like I have stepped out of a Jane Austen book. Although that whole "April Showers, bring May flowers" Is actually "March, April, May, June, July Showers, Bring flowers," I like to complain about the rain, but on those rare days when the rain stops, England is perfect. I almost (VERY STRONG ALMOST) am thankful for all the rain on those days, because the flowers are incredible! Next, from July-September the sun decides to come out and everything is completely green and fresh, most of the time I get amnesia of what the rain was like because I think to myself, "I never want to leave this place, it's so beautiful!" 
Spring!

It's obvious that each season is completely different, each season has it's distinct and unique feel, each season has it's strength and weakness (except Autumn, Autumn is perfect :)), but when I look back at my time in England I can just remember how each season has always been beautiful in it's own way.

Why do I go on an on about seasons when this post is about change? Well, it's the lesson I have been learning lately.  For the past 4 years, I have been running around the world, living one adventure after the other, experiencing new cultures and eating crazy cuisines!  This season has been incredible, and I think back to everything I have learned during this time about myself, my worldview, and God's unfailing love. 

Before, when I would think about the upcoming changes in my life, it would terrify me, create an overwhelming fear of the unknown, and a sense of dread like I was leaving the adventure and fullness of life I have found overseas behind.  

But now, God has been showing me that just like the 4 seasons are distinctly different, good and beautiful, so it is with this new season I am entering into.  The adventure and living life to the fullness is a choice, and that mindset can follow me into each place.  This new season is going to be good.  This new season will be an adventure like never before.  There is hope in this new season, and when I stop complaining about the rain for a second, I can stop and see how amazing the flowers look!  It's so exciting to know that I'm going into this season with an incredible travel buddy, and I get to marry a guy that makes me "stop and smell the roses" from time to time, and I'm moving to Las Vegas, a place that God is so captivated by and so in love with, and there are people their that need to know that! This season is distinctly different, but beauty will follow.  LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!

1 comment: